10.11.09

Annoying: Groups of people acting way too excited about mundane shit.

"How are you guys doing tonight?"
"GREAT!!!!!!!!!"

"Is everybody already on the mailing list?"
"NOT YET, BUT WE WILL BE!"

It's like a giant fake orgasm. I'm not sure which is a more frightening prospect: That these people are actually that enthused about signing a mailing list, or that these people are so eager to play the role of good audience member. Reexamine your priorities and think for yourselves, people. The nazi party was composed of a bunch of really good audience members.

I'm all for excitement, but I think it should be reserved for things that are actually exciting. If you react like this to the prospect of signing up to be pummeled with spam, how are you going to react when you win the lottery?

"I dunno, man... He really didn't deserve to win. He didn't even seem very happy about it."
"I thought he looked happy. He was pumping his fist and grinning from ear to ear, while tears streamed down his face."
"Yeah, well, I dunno. He's always like that. He acted that way when my grandmother showed him her thimble collection."

...Seriously?

I have a hard time believing that this kind of exuberance benefits the self in any way. But then who is it for? The performer/ person on stage/ other audience members? What happened to people being desirous of sincerity, even if it meant a bit of apathy?

No comments: